Friday, August 23, 2013

The Blog Chain – Book to Movie Successes and Disasters

The blog chain question this week is:

What is your favorite book-to-movie adaptation? Why? What's your least favorite and why?                                               

There are so many bad movie adaptations…and it seems to have nothing to do with loyalty to the book. Some movies are amazing adaptations and completely take artistic license, not following the book exactly, but following its spirit. LAST OF THE MOHICANS is a favorite of mine (and yes, I’ve already used it in a blog chain post, but that’s how much I love it.) THE SHINING is another example of a great, creepy, scary movie, that barely follows the book at all. BLADERUNNER barely looks like DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?, but is a cult classic. The HARRY POTTER movies are more faithful to their books, and also fun in themselves. The recent JANE EYRE movie was also fantastic. Michael Fassbender as Rochester?…yes please.
                  

But my absolute favorite movie adaptation is JURASSIC PARK, a movie I’ve watched a hundred times as a child and loved more than the book. That happens so rarely, that a movie outshines a book that it’s my all time favorite.

 

A few not so successful adaptations…please don’t hate me, but the HUNGER GAMES. It wasn’t a bad movie, but the book was so much better, it’s hard to judge the movie fairly. And then there are just the awful adaptations, like the Demi Moore version of THE SCARLET LETTER and the Jack Black version of GULLIVER’S TRAVELS.

Keep following this topic on the chain and check out Michelle’s blog on Monday, or look back at Katrina's post from yesterday.
 
What are your favorite book to movie adaptations? Which ones can you just not stand?

5 comments:

  1. For me the best books to movies adaptations had to be the Lord of The Rings trilogy, with a few licences here and there... they did a truly brilliant job!

    The worst adapatation? The Last Days of Pompeii... I only saw like 10 minutes of it before I was too angry at they had changed EVERYTHING to continue watching without breaking the TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think of LOTR...I've never read the books so I have nothing to compare, but as movies, they are amazing :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with you about Harry Potter. They changed things but the movies were still fun. Not as good as the books, though. Usually, I stay away from book-to-movie adaptation because I assume they'll mangle the story. Blood and Chocolate was one of my favorite books as a kid but I could tell from the movie trailer that they messed that story all up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Princess Bride, which is equally brilliant as a book and as a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete