Monday, August 20, 2012

Seconds Anyone?

In writing the second book in my In the After series I’m really trying to make it live up to the first one. I want it to be just as fast-paced and engrossing (that’s just my humble opinion of the first book J ) but to be a completely unique story as well.

So I tried to think of books that were second in a series that were as good as or even better than the first books. Here are three I could think of.





I know, I know... Fire is a prequel, but it’s still a second book.


What about you? What second books do you love?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...let's see.
    According to the award givers, Robin McKinley's prequel THE HERO AND THE CROWN was good enough to win the Newbery, though THE BLUE SWORD was always my favorite as a teen.

    ...and this summer I heard Rita Williams-Garcia read from the sequel to ONE CRAZY SUMMER. The entire audience was enthralled, so I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the next book in the OCS series is going to be just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it must be great. looks interesting to read yours
    jessillesilv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about seconds, but the third Harry Potter was my favorite -- The Prisoner of Azkaban.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choices! I also favor Azkaban above all the other Harry Potter books, but I think THE SUBTLE KNIFE was better than THE GOLDEN COMPASS. I like SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD as much as, if not more than, ENDER'S GAME. I am actually not a huge fan of THE THIEF by Megan Whalen Turner, but I *loved* THE QUEEN OF ATTOLIA. FLORA'S DARE was not only as good as FLORA SEGUNDA, but it made the first book even better; I think that's the rarest and best kind of sequel, one that builds on the previous book and *adds* to it, instead of simply continuing the story. No pressure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about books but I love the second sentence of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure if it qualifies, but Jeff Shaara's second book The Last Full Measure, which brought to a conclusion the trilogy between he and his late father, was more enjoyable than the first novel, Gods and Generals.

    ReplyDelete