Monday, August 27, 2012

Books I Love – Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O’Brien



 

Is anyone out there?

Ann Burden is sixteen years old and completely alone. The world as she once knew it is gone, ravaged by a nuclear war that has taken everyone from her. For the past year, she has lived in a remote valley with no evidence of any other survivors.

But the smoke from a distant campfire shatters Ann's solitude. Someone else is still alive and making his way toward the valley. Who is this man? What does he want? Can he be trusted? Both excited and terrified, Ann soon realizes there may be worse things than being the last person on Earth.

This is an oldie but a goodie. I love the premise (my own book touches on what it’s like to be alone in a world that has fallen apart) and how scary this world is without zombies, aliens, or vampires. Ann is compelling, strong yet lonely. I also like that it’s minimalistic; there are basically three characters in the entire book, and one of those is a dog. I would recommend this to anyone who likes post-apocalyptic fiction.

Has anyone else read this one? I know it's not for everyone...one person's review on amazon was that they didn't like it because the main character wasn't named Zachariah J

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read it, but it sounds like something my daughter might like, so I'll flag it on Amazon. Thanks, Demitria. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this one- right now I'm looking for new authors, so I'll put this on my list to check out from the library. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one. Sounds like it's got potential...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Oyagu, i came in contact with his email through a friend in UK and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV to contact him if you willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through this email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348101755322
    He also cured my friend with HIV and ever since then i strongly believe he can do all things. Don't be deceived thinking he does not work, i believe if you can get in contact with this man all your troubles will be over. i have done my part in spreading the good news. Contact him through his email and you will be the next to testify of his great work.



    ReplyDelete