Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Editing For Your Agent

Editing for your agent is a bit different then editing for yourself…sure, all the same principles apply, but there is one major difference; your agent is your lifeline to the publishing world.

This is why I stress finding an agent who has excellent editorial insight. My agent told me (as I’m sure they all do) that I can ignore suggestions as it’s my work. I did ignore a few things, but the truth is, I trust her judgment. She has a lot of experience in the publishing world and knows what makes a solid saleable work. If you and your agent don’t see eye to eye on your manuscript, this could create problems down the road.

I chose a highly editorial agent, who not only makes suggestions, but has an editor on staff. I could have gone with an agent who said my work was ready to submit as it was, but I’m glad I didn’t. Although it may have been polished, my novel wasn’t ready to be seen by publishers. I see that now and hope that at the end of this round of edits it is ready.

8 comments:

  1. I find your approach very sensible indeed. Even genius writers need somebody with a fresh eye and sound opinions because everybody, literally everybody, makes mistakes from time to time. You are happy you can trust your agent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I like agent's willing to help you editorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That comment made little sense. I like agents who help you editorially...is what I meant to say...yikes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,

    Don't worry, I sometimes look over comments I've typed and think "That's not what I meant at all! How did my brain miscommunicate with my fingers so horribley?!"

    I know a lot of people like to think they're "done" with their manuscript by the time they get an agent but I don't think that's realistic. I hope, though, that the work we're putting in now will save us on edits when we get a publisher...and we will get a publisher :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Lisa Aldin & Demitria

    That's also why we need the second look mentioned by anachronist in the first comment. We all make this kind of mistake, and the more subtle issues a text might have are all the more difficult for us to find and tease out alone.

    I feel this most in emailing and blogging. There may be no one to check an email or post before it goes out, and by then of course it's too late..! People may also be too polite to mention the errors or give the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it's wonderful having an agent with the ability to edit. That way she picks up on things you miss. I don't know about you, but after reading my novel a million times, it sure helps to have someone with the knack for editing reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a good choice. I just started editing my first first draft ever and it looks like it's going to be a long process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you 100%. You're very lucky to have landed an agent that you trust and who obviously has such a good eye:)

    ReplyDelete