Monday, January 24, 2011

Editing for Your Agent – The Process

Last week I wrote a post about editing for your agent, the point being listen to them because they have experience and insight into the publishing world. I failed to mention anything about the process, which I was immensely curious about before I got an agent, so here goes.

1)      The Big Picture Edit. The first step in editing for your agent, they will give you a general rundown of what they think is good about your manuscript, and what they think isn’t working. For example, they may say to get to a certain event faster to help with pacing, or to flesh out supporting characters. This is all big picture stuff that you will have to deal with before submission.
2)      The Closer Look Edit. After you work out some of the bigger problems (if any) your agent will review your manuscript and make additional suggestions. Most people use track changes. This is more of the hands on edit, where your agent will make specific suggestions on how to improve your novel. This step may be repeated several times as your manuscript progresses.
3)      The Line Edit. This is exactly what it sounds like. The agent will check your manuscript line by line for typos or mistakes. This is done only after all the kinks have been worked out. This is the final step before submission.

So there you have it, if you were curious. This is generally how it goes if you have an editorial agent. If you have an agent who submits your work as it is, they’ll still do the line edit, just to check for typos. No agent will submit your manuscript to publishers without doing a final review, if they want to then that’s a red flag.

Right now I’m at step two and have submitted my second rewrite to my agent. If it needs more work I’ll repeat the closer look edit, if not, it’s on to the line edit and then…submission, woohoo!

Tomorrow – About Writing YA – Word Choice

16 comments:

  1. That's good to know. Thank you.

    I've heard some agents don't do much, but some do a lot. And I've also heard that more and more publishers expect agents to do this kind of work. I know someone who's through her third round of edits from her agent, and it totally demoralized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why you really have to do your research when it comes to agents...I knew I wanted an editorial agent. Hopefully, it will pay off during submission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My agent does not do hands-on editing with me, but I know she would if I asked her and I know she does with other clients. She always picks out my typos (which is great!!) and she will give me honest advice if she thinks a scene needs more action or if she thinks something in an MS is not working. I totally trust her. She edited at some big houses and really knows her stuff, so I always take her advice and it has never let me down!!

    Great post!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Editing - not something I like much as it is like doing major surgery, but it's oh, so necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you like using track changes? I've never used it but it seems like it could get really confusing...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel.

    I actually like track changes, except for the fact that you have to approve all deletion/insertions...so if you accidentally typed something like awesrme, you have to approve the deletion of the r and the insertion of the o...it can get tedius.

    You should check it out on a random word doc and fiddle with it. It's not confusing and really is the best way to keep track of edits...what technique are you using now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to learn how to use track changes. Good post. I learned some helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just been using a jerry-rigged method of highlighting the parts that I want to change, and then removing the highlights once I've changed them. I save as a new document whenever it occurs to me to do so. So, not very organized in the editing department! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! I will send good vibes of a line edit your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AW! Awesome! I am on step one! =) Which step do you find takes the longest for you? I think the Big Picture stuff takes me forever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the Big Picture stuff does take the longest, it's the things you have to think about the most, like cutting scenes or rewriting a character. Think the line edit will take the least amount of time, since it's just accepting typo corrections and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good blog, Demetria.

    "Editing - not something I like much as it is like doing major surgery, but it's oh, so necessary."

    An interesting way of putting it, JJ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Thanks for finding me. This is a great post - I hope to have an agent soon, so I can experience this stuff first hand!

    ReplyDelete